Don't have a bank account?

We would strongly recommend that you get a basic bank account or credit union account. Having an account will make receiving your Universal Credit and paying your rent much easier. 

Read our advice on opening a basic bank account or credit union account here.

But if you can't get a bank account you can apply for the Payment Exception Service. The Payment Exception Service is a way for people who do not have a bank account to collect benefit or pension payments. The service is only available in very limited circumstances and you must contact the office that pays your benefit or pension if you would like to apply. 

How to get your money

You will be sent a payment card, email voucher or text message that you can use to collect your payment from any PayPoint outlet that offers the Payment Exception Service.

You can find PayPoint outlets in your local newsagents, convenience store or supermarket.

Read more about the Payment Exception Service on the Department of Work and Pensions website.

Need some help? Get in touch